Thursday, August 8, 2013

List Item #10

I've added another item to my 15/25 list, I'm now at 10 items! The next thing is titled, "Sisterhood of the Traveling Book."



I'm in the process of reading the book Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg. If you don't know, Sheryl is currently the COO of Facebook and her book is about her journey to the top as a woman, the challenges she faced and those that still exist for women entering the workforce. As I read, I find myself in awe of the things she's accomplished, angered by the fact that this is still the world we live in and motivated to do something about it as I enter the working world.

I've also been thinking about friends who I want to read this book, to hear this message. I received my copy of the book as a gift. The day prior I had been in Barnes and Noble, saw the book, checked the price, and put it back down. "I can buy it when it comes out in paperback," I said to myself. But then, I walked into Katie B.'s office-a place I'll always treasure-and she had a copy of the book on her desk. "Katie!" I exclaimed, "Are you reading this?!" She explained that yes, she had just started, but that copy was actually an extra that had been ordered for a class. "You can have it," she said so nonchalantly. I, on the other hand, was ecstatic. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I said. And now, I think I want to keep gifting the book. When I'm done, I plan to sign my name and date it the day I finish. I'll write a note to the person I'm sending it to and to the women who I hope receive it in the future, my sisterhood, of girls and women I've never even met, but who I know will be the next Sheryl Sandbergs.

In deciding to do this, part of me was a little torn up over the fact that I would be losing my copy of the book. But, I reminded myself, I can just buy another one when it comes out in paperback.


No comments:

Post a Comment