Sunday, July 28, 2013

Good for some laughs

I'll admit, I'm kinda sucking at my 15/25 project. In my defense though, I have been in the midst of "camp season," arguably the busiest three weeks of my year. Volleyball camps consist of three 4-day overnight camps for kids ranging in age from 5th grade to 12th grade. Work is non-stop from 8am until 11pm or midnight. There is no stopping for breaks and barely time for a decent meal. It's absolute craziness; but, it's kinda fun.

Camps ended a couple days ago and I've had some down time. I've learned I'm not very good at being bored after three weeks of constant go-go-go. I did reread my list though and have some thoughts about the items on it.

I'm struggling to come up with fifteen items. I have added one though: cut my closet in half. Admittedly, this idea was stolen from Katie, but each morning I look at my closet and know that I will probably never wear most of it again. Most of the items aren't really old or in bad shape, but they've had their life with me and now it's time to pass them along. Cleaning my closet might be today's project :)

Tomorrow I'm meeting with Asher, a pastor at First Presbyterian Church here in Spokane. They have a service on Sunday evenings called Communitas, which I really enjoy going to. The crowd is young and there's lots of worship and time for conversation with others. I'm still not really sure what I'm looking for in my relationship with God, but I know that I enjoy going to Communitas because it provides a sense of community that I crave.

I also got to watch a few TED Talks. I'd forgotten how much I love them. I watched a few, but one I want to share with you is a comedian, Maz Jobrani, that is absolutely hilarious. Here's the link to watch it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmXiItk49Gw. Maz is an Iranian-American man who has teamed up with a Palestinian-American and Egyptian-American to create the Axis of Evil Comedy Tour. They poke fun at the stereotypes that surround the Middle East and people of Middle Eastern descent in the hopes of being able to break down those stereotypes and present Middle Easterners and Muslims in a positive light. Perhaps I just think it's hilarious because I spent a pretty good chunk of time in a Middle Eastern, Muslim country, but I think Maz's jokes will be funny to someone regardless of their background. They point out the ideas that you hold and perhaps where they came from and why maybe, just maybe, they're a bit flawed. He brings to light significant issues in a way that makes it comfortable to discuss them. The TED Talk is less than 10 minutes long and I really hope you check it out; I hope it makes you laugh and I hope it makes you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment